Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Infamous 14 year gap

The reason for the absence of 14 years within the play of Pericles is unknown. What happened between those 14 years that made it so Pericles was unable to come back for his daughter Marina? Shakespeare, and whoever else wrote this play along with him, I suppose lets the audience decide for themselves what exactly happened.

If I were to write in a portion or scene of the play dealing with the 14 year gap, I would, out of the blue, probably include something about the Greek gods in that scene. Doing this would be an extreme curve-ball to the Elizabethan Age where Greek mythology was hardly recognized as an appropriate worship compared to Christianity and the such. In this scene, I would write of how the gods look upon Pericles and see his future and stuff and must save and rescue his daughter for a certain purpose. I haven't read further into the play to know what exactly happens later, but if if I did, I would tie that in to the reason why the Greek gods would interfere with mortal affairs. This scene is certainly something out of the blue, but I think it would make an interesting story twist considering nothing referring to the Greek gods have come up prior in the play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment